Many PhD students are now in the final throes of writing their thesis. Turning years of research into a single, coherent piece of work can be tough, so we asked for tips from supervisors and recent PhD graduates. We were inundated with tweets and emails – and @AcademiaObscura helpfully created a Storify of the tweets. Below is a selection of the best tips.
1) Make sure you meet the PhD requirements for your institution
“PhD students and their supervisors often presume things without checking. One supervisor told his student that a PhD was about 300 pages long so he wrote 300 pages. Unfortunately the supervisor had meant double-spaced, and the student had written single-spaced. Getting rid of 40,000 extra words with two weeks to go is not recommended.” (Hannah Farrimond, lecturer in medical sociology, Exeter University)
2) Keep perspective
“Everyone wants their thesis to be amazing, their magnum opus. But your most important work will come later. Think of your PhD as an apprenticeship. Your peers are unlikely to read your thesis and judge you on it. They are more likely to read any papers (articles, chapters, books) that result from it.” (Dean D’Souza, PhD in cognitive neuroscience, Birkbeck, University of London)
3) Write the introduction last
“Writing the introduction and conclusion together will help to tie up the thesis together, so save it for the end.” (Ashish Jaiswal, PhD in business education, University of Oxford)
4) Use apps
“Trello is a project management tool (available as a smartphone app) which allows you to create ‘boards’ on which to pin all of your outstanding tasks, deadlines, and ideas. It allows you to make checklists too so you know that all of your important stuff is listed and to-hand, meaning you can focus on one thing at a time. It’s satisfying to move notes into the ‘done’ column too.” (Lucy Irving, PhD in psychology, Middlesex University)
5) Address the unanswered questions
“There will always be unanswered questions – don’t try to ignore or, even worse, obfuscate them. On the contrary, actively draw attention to them; identify them in your conclusion as areas for further investigation. Your PhD viva will go badly if you’ve attempted to disregard or evade the unresolved issues that your thesis has inevitably opened up.” (Michael Perfect, PhD in English literature, University of Cambridge)
6) Buy your own laser printer
“A basic monochrome laser printer that can print duplex (two-sided) can be bought online for less than £100, with off-brand replacement toners available for about £30 a pop. Repeatedly reprinting and editing draft thesis chapters has two very helpful functions. Firstly, it takes your work off the screen and onto paper, which is usually easier to proof. Secondly, it gives you a legitimate excuse to get away from your desk.” (James Brown, PhD in architectural education, Queen’s University Belfast)
7) Checking is important
“On days when your brain is too tired to write, check quotations, bibliography etc so you’re still making progress.” (Julia Wright, professor of English at Dalhousie University, Canada)
8) Get feedback on the whole thesis
“We often get feedback on individual chapters but plan to get feedback from your supervisor on the PhD as a whole to make sure it all hangs together nicely.” (Mel Rohse, PhD in peace studies, University of Bradford)
9) Make sure you know when it will end
“Sometimes supervisors use optimistic words such as ‘You are nearly there!’ Ask them to be specific. Are you three months away, or do you have six months’ worth of work? Or is it just a month’s load?” (Rifat Mahbub, PhD in women’s studies, University of York)
10) Prepare for the viva
“Don’t just focus on the thesis – the viva is very important too and examiners’ opinions can change following a successful viva. Remember that you are the expert in your specific field, not the examiners, and ask your supervisor to arrange a mock viva if practically possible.” (Christine Jones, head of school of Welsh and bilingual studies, University of Wales Trinity St David)
11) Develop your own style
“Take into account everything your supervisor has said, attend to their suggestions about revisions to your work but also be true to your own style of writing. What I found constructive was paying attention to the work of novelists I enjoy reading. It may seem that their style has nothing to do with your own field of research, but this does not matter. You can still absorb something of how they write and what makes it effective, compelling and believable.” (Sarah Skyrme, PhD in sociology, Newcastle University)
12) Remember that more is not always better
“A PhD thesis is not a race to the highest page count; don’t waste time padding.” (Francis Woodhouse, PhD in mathematical biology, University of Cambridge)
13) Get a buddy
“Find a colleague, your partner, a friend who is willing to support you. Share with them your milestones and goals, and agree to be accountable to them. This doesn’t mean they get to hassle or nag you, it just means someone else knows what you’re up to, and can help to check if your planning is realistic and achievable.” (Cassandra Steer, PhD in criminology, University of Amsterdam)
14) Don’t pursue perfectionism
“Remember that a PhD doesn’t have to be a masterpiece. Nothing more self-crippling than perfectionism.” (Nathan Waddell, lecturer in modernist literature, Nottingham University)
15) Look after yourself
“Go outside. Work outside if you can. Fresh air, trees and sunshine do wonders for what’s left of your sanity.” (Helen Coverdale, PhD in law, LSE)
• Do you have any tips to add? Share your advice in the comments below.
Join the higher education network for more comment, analysis and job opportunities, direct to your inbox. Follow us on Twitter @gdnhighered.
Professional Dissertation And Thesis Writing Assistance from Experienced Ph.D. Writers
Every student definitely knows that the dissertation is a significant component of the advanced academic degree, so it should take up a lot of time and effort. It is truee that dissertation and thesis writing is a time-consuming process that demands thorough analysis and special attention even to the tiniest details. Unfortunately, many students all around the world try to accomplish this complex project with no outside help and fail.
In such case, professional dissertation help can come in handy. Our custom writing service is here to assist you, provide support during this important period of your life and help save your nerves and efforts. It is available around the world and around the clock. With solid grounding and exceptional academic careers, our experts know for sure how to prevent students from disappointment. Trust our reputable writing service and successfully graduate from the University!
Cooperate with experienced dissertation writers
We are proud of our team of writers who have a strong background in creating high-quality dissertation content for different subjects and formatting styles. All of them are certified experts, so they freely use special critical thinking strategies to produce worthy dissertations.
Our custom writing service offers various benefits for our dear clients. For example, you have an excellent opportunity to:
- Select a preferred author to write a dissertation project exclusively for you;
- Stay in touch with your assigned writer any time you need to add some details concerning your order;
- Order editing, proofreading, and formatting services to hone your paper to perfection
- Connect with our 24/7 Support Team at any time of day or night and get answers to all your questions about your order, our service, or dissertation writing in general.
Need urgent help from qualified dissertation writers? Your project isn’t done, and the submission date is on the horizon? No doubt, you are at the right place to receive quick and efficient assistance. What do we need to meet all your requirements and create an outstanding paper that deserves only high grades? The topic of your project and some additional details, such as its length, citation style, deadline, etc. After that, we will do our best to find a professional writer who is talented enough to cope with your dissertation in the best possible way.
Qualified dissertation help is your key to a successful academic career
Our competent team has experience in producing 100% original content on various subjects and different types of projects about technology, literature, political science, education, leadership, history, and many more. In addition to this, we specialize in thesis help, and our expertise is at the top-level. There is no need to worry about the quality of content. You can be certain – your dissertation or thesis will be well-researched, unique, and plagiarism-free.
We are one of the leading dissertation writing services in the industry, and we know what our customers are looking for. So, if you’re ready to place an order, be sure to get the following benefits:
- Original content. When you are searching for professional assistance with a dissertation or thesis, you expect to receive a unique paper at an affordable price. Be certain, we will never collaborate with lazy writers who plagiarize materials and can’t do research before writing.
- A paper written from scratch. We never supply pre-written project, so your dissertation will be one of a kind, created after hard research.
- High–quality writing. Every member of our team is a native-English speaker who passed several tests before becoming part of our custom writing service. Moreover, our writers, editors and proofreaders constantly improve their knowledge and skills.
- On-time delivery. We understand how significant deadlines are and we ensure that your order will be delivered before the fixed date.
- Free revisions. We guarantee that you’ll be totally satisfied with our work. However, if for some reasons you want to make last-minute changes, you can send a request and we will make revisions free of charge within 2 weeks after order delivery.
- Personal and professional approach. Our fundamental goal is to help customers at the highest level. It includes hiring the most qualified experts and offering an affordable pricing system.
- 24/7 customer support. Members of our support team are always online to answer any questions and solve any technical issues. You can connect with them via live chat, email or phone.
Whether you need urgent help with thesis or dissertation, we can provide you with exactly what you’re searching for. Don’t hesitate! We are waiting for your call.
It’s simple to get perfect dissertation or thesis help
All you need to do to order dissertation or any other type of academic paper at our professional custom writing service is to simply go through 4 easy steps:
- Complete the order form, providing all necessary details
- Make a payment after choosing a convenient payment system
- Stay in touch with your writer to manage the whole writing process
- Get a notification to your email and download the completed project
As you can see, we offer urgent assistance day-and-night. So, don’t wait any longer! Make your life easier with our reliable help!